Early my first year a few friends and I
started a very intentional English corner among Muslm women. We told them from day one that the theme of
all of our lessons was going to be “Example of Righteous women in the
Word” We looked at stories of Even,
Sarah, Rachel, Rebecca and Mary. As we
got closer to the pinnacle of Jesus Christ we found more and more stories of
when he had reached out to women. There
was some ladies in our group who could have cared less about the content of our
lessons, they were more interested in practicing their language, but thankfully
other didn’t care a bit about what I had to say out past tense or active voice,
they were just desperate to hear more about the man Jesus.
One particular women seemed to glow every
time we mentioned his name. She would
put away anything in her hands and turn expectantly to hear more. Her intense interest lead us to invite her
over on her own one even to watch the Jesus movie with us in her own
language. From the minute we pressed
play she was fully engaged in the story unfolding before her. She stared facing the TV directly with her
eyes glued on the screen. Even after it
finished she sat still, unmoving. My
roommate tentatively asked “So, what did you think?” She turned slowly to face us, her cheeks were
wet with fresh tears. “My heart feels
cleaner just watching that movie” she said.
She called me two days later asking if
there was a time we could meet us, she really needed to talk to me. We meet up and chatted about nothing in
particular for a while. “What was it
that you wanted to talk about?” I finally got around to asking. “I heard about a good English teaching job
and wanted to mention it to you. You
teach our English corner for free, but I thought you might like to make a
little money to help pay your student fees”
She said smiling. Little did she
know that as white westerns we get offered English teaching jobs at least once
a day. We have to fend them off just to
get a little peace and quite in our lives.
My heart sank at her announcement, and I
think it must have been noticeable because she asked me what was wrong. I decided to be straight with her. “I am disappointed you just want to talk
about English teaching… I thought you had called me today to talk more about J
and how you can follow him. You always seem so eager to hear more at English
corner, you seemed to like the movie the other night… I just thought maybe you
were ready.”
She looked confused. “Of course I follow him. Every week after English corner I call my
finance and retell him the story you shared.
The other night I called him and cried as I tried to relate the
movie. You have helped us both so much
by teaching us these things, that I just really wanted to do something nice to
help you back. That’s why I mentioned
the English teaching”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.