Friday, December 6, 2013

Love Your Enemy


A lot of the aforementioned heartache comes from conflict between different ethnic groups in the area.  Recently I was teaching an English corner to some young YOU women.  We were doing the story of the Good Samaritan and talking about Jesus’ teaching of loving your enemies.  Other times when I have taught this same story the girls have just nodded and said “Yes! We should be nice to everyone.” The words sounded so empty, like they were just saying what they thought I expected to hear.  But this past time the girls had a REAL reaction.  “Wow! That is hard.  This city is full of hatred; I can’t imagine spending my money or time to help a stranger, especially if they weren’t YOU.  Is that really what God wants of us?”  It was a great night as we started to practically talk about ways we could love other ethnic groups.

            Please pray for these young women as we proceed through our English course.  The above discussion came out of our study on neighborly love.  We will still be hitting on topics of mercy, justice and forgiveness.  I am excited to explore these topics with girls who don’t just give the easy answer, but take time to let it sink in and change them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.