It was still the middle of Ramadan and I was visiting the city I
soon hope to call home. I, and a group of other foreigners, arrived at the
restaurant a good ten minutes before the breaking of the fast. We placed our
order and were surprised when the guy brought out our food before it was time
to eat. Everyone else in the restaurant still sat awaiting the official moment.
We decided to wait too, even though our noodles were getting cold. The other
guests noticed we didn’t dive right in and started asking each other about it.
Since I could understand their conversation I decided to answer. “It is not
okay to eat in front of people who are fasting. We want to show you guys
respect. It is only five more minutes. We can wait.”
They all seemed so touched. Soon, children
from almost every table were bringing us a couple of cookies or some of the
homemade yogurt they had brought to the restaurant. Everyone was nodding in
approval and thanking us. At the appointed time, the room grew quiet as
everyone offered a quick prayer. We too, bowed our heads and offered up a
prayer on behalf of those sitting close by.
Later that night, as we were walking back, an older woman and her
family, who had been at the restaurant with us, spotted me on the street. After
getting my attention, she said, “You prayed for a long time before you ate.
What did you say to God?” “Well,” I
said, asking God for wisdom even in that moment, “actually I was praying for
you and the others in the restaurant. I know you want to draw close to God at
Ramadan and I know He has created only one true way to himself, I was praying
that you would find His way and never depart.” I was unsure how she would take
my comment. I was hoping she would ask what that one right way was; but I was
also scared she might be mad that I had insinuated she hadn’t found it yet,
even though she was dressed like a very devout Muslm lady. Instead she lovingly
patted my check and murmured, “You are a good girl”.
She turned to leave and I noticed that we
continued to walk in the same direction. I asked her where she was heading and,
as only God can orchestrate, I quickly discovered that she is going to be one
of my new neighbors, living just a few floors below me. “Oh big sister,” I
said, “this is wonderful, we will be able to have many more conversations about
how God truly wants us to draw close to him. I can’t wait to share with you all
that He has been teaching me.” She grabbed my hand lovingly and continued to
squeeze it all the way back to our building.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.