Friday, December 6, 2013

Too Much Heartache


Since returning last September, I have been overwhelmed with the hardships of the YOU people around me.  Here are some examples of the stories I have heard, stories that left me holding hands with crying and broken people:

-My sons were taken to jail after the struggles last year; one of them was beaten so badly his arm is still broken and has never healed well.

-My mother died suddenly from a brain aneurism, and I don’t know what to do.

-My cousin was picked up off the street and no one has heard from him in five months.

-They are tearing down our house because they say it is part of a bad neighborhood.  Where will we live?

- A YOU believer is in jail for his faith in Jesus.  His wife has only seen him once in over two years.  The government just ruled he will stay in jail for 15 years
 
Hearing these stories is almost too much to bear.  I don’t know what to say to my friends or how to be a comfort to them.  Often I end up just holding them and praying that they would know the truth of what Jesus said: "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Reflecting on this verse gives me hope when I come away from these emotional charged times.  I have someone to cry out to, someone who is gentle and cares when I am burdened.  But my friends don’t know Jesus; they don’t know how to call out to him. Please join me in asking that these weary, heavy laden friends and neighbors of mine would find the true rest Jesus offers.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.