Saturday, December 7, 2013

Dinner With Friends


Most of the stories I am choosing to share this month all happened in a one week trip to some of the villages in the southern part of the province.  I acted as translator for a group of summer short-termers and therefore was able to make money for our company while travelling and sharing the good news. 
 
 I had the telephone number of a young girl in one village that my team mates had met the last time they travelled through.  She was a young woman who studied English in the capital city where I live, who had just gone home over the vacation, so I arranged to have dinner with her and she brought along a few of her friends.  
 
Over dinner they started talking about their dream of learning English and going overseas.  I am so sick of this dream that I jumped in and told them that life was not perfect in America.  I also went into a long speech about how any hope or dream that is not centered on God and his plan for their lives is empty and meaningless.  I used a very big sister voice and told them that unless they got their spiritual lives in order first they would be miserable.  I told them that I would give them an MP3 I had been listening to because the lessons were about God’s righteous road, the best hope and dream this world has to offer.  They were really embarrassed to keep the player, so I offered to loan it to them.  They could use it and listen until they came back to school in the fall.  I made sure they had my phone number, but I told them, if you call me I will want to hear and discuss all about your thoughts on the lessons.  Keep praying that they call back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.