When I first moved here I was blessed with
the opportunity to live with another single worker from the states. She was a great roommate and did a lot to
show me the ropes of life over seas… but our apartment was on the 5th
floor. As winter came I had no desire to
go up and down all those stairs just to step out into the cold dark snowy world
around me. I realized all of this was
affecting my language learning. If I
didn’t go out, I didn’t interact with students, If I didn’t interact I didn’t
practice what I had learned in class. If
I didn’t practice I didn’t improve.
At
the same time an opportunity opened to live in the student’s dorm. It sounded perfect. A second floor dorm room all to myself. I would be neighbors with all the regular
students, but I could have a space to myself.
This is an unusual thing in a local dorm. Most local students are jammed 8 into a
room. Dorm walls are lined with four
sets of bunk beds and students learn to live with no personal space. My mind raced ahead with ideas of how I could
transform the little shoe box sized room into a cozy space.
I packed up all my stuff, which since I had
only lived in country a few months, still basically fit in the suitcases I had
come with. I think I had one extra bag
with a new comforter and pillows. My
classmate and our local tutor were kind enough to help me carry the stuff
across campus. We got to the dorm
building and the lady and the front desk walked us down to the room that was
available.
“No one has used this room in a while” she
said as she opened the door and handed me the keys to my new space “It might
need a bit of cleaning”
That was the understatement of the year. The room was a mess. It looked like it had become of the catch all
space for any broken beds, desks, chairs
or bookshelves in the building.
Furniture was packed in making it hard to really get a glimpse of the
space.
“We can move out what you don’t need” the
woman said in response to my slightly appalled face. I just stood there taking in the cold hard
concrete floors, the dark coal dust covered walls, that left your hand prints if you so much as
brushed against the wall. The ripped
curtains that separated my room from a clear shot into guys dorm. We hadn’t even looked into the washroom yet,
but the strong smells coming from our left let us know it was in need of work
too. I was ready to make an about-face
and head back to the comfy, homey shared apartment. I could handle a few stairs every day, they
had to be better than this shabby hole.
Just as I was reaching for the handle of my
bag, I heard my tutor exclaim “Karen this is great. We will have you settled by this
evening”. He was already sorting through
the abandoned furniture and testing to see which bed was in the best
shape.
His cheerful tone did a lot to sooth my bad
attitude. All other students in the
country lived in rooms just like this… who was I to assume I was above such humble
conditions. Those dear friends, who had
only been asked to carry a few bags across campus, stayed with me all day
moving heavy desks, scrubbing strained surfaces, bring carpets from their own
homes, and hanging something better over the window so my room didn’t become a
pep show. They worked selflessly for
many hours. In the end the move was a
great thing. I got to know the students
around me, worked on language. Father
was so good to me, giving me grace to make this move, to adopt my tutors good
attitude and let Father work out the situation as He wanted.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.