“What have you been doing recently to rest?” a good friend
asked me as means of catching up after a long time a part. The question plagued me as much as it always
has. What do I do to rest? For
recreation? In the pursuit of being recreated into the image of Christ? When I first moved overseas the question of
rest seemed so simple. Anytime I had to
interact in a foreign language, or with strange culture around me it was
work. A day of rest mean speaking only
English and hanging out with only westerners.
As the years marched on and I became more comfortable with my new
context, this began to feel like an unnecessary dichotomy, especially when some
of my local friends were also believers and spending time with them was an
equal encouragement to my heart. Those
clear distinctions became blurred and time with locals was fun and
relaxing. For a while I wondered if the
answer lay in spending time with fellow followers rejoicing in the good news,
compared to time with non-believers sharing it.
The question of how I rest in the midst of life overseas had
to once again take a drastic shift when I started working full time in order to
obtain a visa, especially in recent years at the baby food factory. Working more than a 40 hour week, much of it
spent doing tasks and jobs that are way beyond my level of knowledge or
expertise, often left me feeling drained.
Yet day after day I found myself sitting alone at the computer planning
and writing operational procedures for the factory. In the evenings I struggled with not having
spent any time actually dedicated to my real job, the one that I have been
called and sent me here to do. Soon the
after work hours became of flurry of activity as well, filled up with
appointments for lunch or tea with different local friends and neighbours. To the extreme that when my friend asked the
pointed question on rest, I stumbled and stuttered to come up with a suitable
response. It shouldn’t create such an
internal struggle to answer a simple question on how am I living faithfully in
light of one of the Lord’s commands… and yet it did. Oh sure, my roommate and I often watch a TV
show before we wearily dragged ourselves to bed each night, but that is not the
sort of jubilatory rest we are called to partake of as a foretaste of His
perfect future. I was missing something,
and I was too exhausted to even realize it.
In august my body started to revolt, with more and more sore
days. For the first several weeks I
chalked it up to bad weather and more rainy days then we are used to in the
desert. But by mid-October I had to
admit to myself and others that my arthritis had flared up. My joints were in constant pain, I started
using my cane to get around and a good night’s sleep seem and elusive
myth. Thankfully the Lord broke through
my own stubbornness to just keep pushing full steam, and instead I felt lead to
write to a select group of friends and mentors asking them to come a long side me in dedicated
prayer for both a renewal of my health and strength, but also for direction on
how best to move forward. My old body
simply cannot handle the pace I have been keeping.
Thanks to their intercession and wise counsel, it has been
decided that for now the best course of action might be to seek a sort of
medical sabbatical. A time off for work
and ministry in order to regain my strength, both physical, but also
spiritually. A time of rest, learning
afresh what that word was intended to mean, and how I can build it into the
rhythms of my daily life. I will be
spending the next several months in Thailand, both meeting with doctors, trying
new medications, talking through potential surgery options all to help meet
health needs, and hopefully see my flare-up subside. More importantly though it will also be an extended
time for my own heart to seek His face.
Please be sure to hear me correctly. I am not saying I am done working overseas or
seeing the gospel made known to the U people.
That is still very much the desire of my heart, and even in a slightly
weakened state I still believe Father can chose to use me to make His name
great. But I do need to spend time
rethinking how to do that well. Can my
job at the factory be tweaked or cut to part time? Is it worth finding a less
demanding job (15-20 hours a week) elsewhere in this province? How does leaning to answer my friends
question about seeking real biblical rest in the midst of a busy schedule lead
to longevity overseas?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.