Dear Faithful Partners in the Work
Happy New
Year! As we start this new year let us remember that His mercies are new every morning
and great is His faithfulness, no mater what we have come through and what lies
ahead that is a solid truth that will sustain us and encourage us.
I don’t
know how many of you are aware of the fact that due to my rheumatoid arthritis,
back in 1998 at the age of 18 I had both of my hip joints fully replaced. The Lord used this surgery to radically
change my life from being in a wheelchair to being able to walk and eventually
move overseas to serve Him among the U people.
At the time of my initial surgery doctors said that the replacement
joints would likely last anywhere from 18-20 years. I have always known the day would come that
these artificial joints would wear out, but I was shocked recently to find out
that day is already upon me.
In late
November I had an orthopedic surgeon appointment. I figured since I go for an hour long walk
each day, the doctor would be pleased with how well my 23-year-old hips were doing.
After a quick look at x-rays, however,
he declared both hips were bordering on ‘catastrophic failure’- the technical
term for the wearing through to the replacement joint. Despite how well I appear to be doing, he
felt it was imperative to plan surgery for the beginning of 2021, before ‘the
joints deteriorated past the point of them being able to operate’. The doctor said I was ‘lucky’ to be home in
Canada when this happened and not in some far-flung part of the world. My team leaders in Central Asia, who have no
faith in the local medical system, totally agreed, but saw it all as the hand
of the Lord.
Before
leaving my doctor’s appointment that day I was already signing release forms to
allow for surgery. The doctor’s hope is
to schedule my case sometime mid-February, but it is hard for hospitals
fighting COVID-19 to accurately predict when they might be able to treat all
non-urgent cases. Depending on the
amount of surrounding bone damage the doctor discovers while operating, he may
need to do one hip at a time, meaning my year could consist of surgery, several
months of rehab only to do it all over again four months later. Praise the Lord that all of this will be
covered under OHIP since all Canadians who returned home during covid were
automatically regranted government health insurance.
Over a year
ago I left Central Asia with a carry-on suitcase in hand. Knowing another long
year of displacement loomed ahead, I had to make some serious ministry related
decisions. During lockdown I have been
able to help with a few online projects like seeing book of “Numbers”
transliterated into a different U script.
The U language can be written with four different alphabets, our
hardworking translation team focus their attention on the most common, but
there are still segments of the population whose heart better comprehends the
Word in a different format. This work is
not hard, just time consuming and often falls through the cracks. Over the next year I will be partnering
virtually with our U Broad Sowing team who seek to use social media and other
forms of communication to make sure the U Bible is distributed. I will not only continue to work on
transliteration of the Scriptures, but will also help post and respond to
comments on our U Bible reading FB, Instagram and YouTube accounts. Like so
many people this year my job has switch from in person to online, for drinking
tea to typing for the Glory of God.
These team
changes mean that fellow workers in Central Asia will be packing up my apartment
and, for the time being, I will officially be located here in Canada. I see
this as a temporary reassignment due to health constraints. Lord willing, after surgery, I will
physically be able to repursue my heart’s desire to once again live in a U
populated area.
As friends
and ministry partners I am so grateful for your faithfulness in both giving and
praying throughout all of this year’s uncertainty. I wanted to you be aware of the changes that lay
ahead, I know a ministry of Scripture transliteration and internet proclamation
is very different from relationship building with neighbors, but I hope you
will continue to prayerfully and financially partner in this work.
For His
glory,
Karen.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.