For Christmas this year, I embarked on the ambitious task of knitting sweaters for my whole family. They were meant to be squeeze hugs for a social distanced holiday. As the yarn wove between my figures and the rhythmic click of the needles filled the air, I found the words of Psalm 139 ringing through my head “You knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Such comfort has been drawn from this Psalm throughout history as we contemplate God’s unending presence in our life; the words themselves are like a hug. Yet, those of you who are familiar with the Psalm know that the beautiful and hymnic language of intimacy and worship are abruptly interrupted with the jarring words of verse 19: “Oh that you would slay the wicked … away from me bloodthirsty men.” At first, it is hard to understand this dissonance; but, in truth, the psalmist is saying: “As you test my thoughts, Lord, you know that your enemies are my enemies. You hate evil; I hate it too!” Sadly, the idea of bloodthirsty and wicked men is not a far-removed concept. The ever-worsening plight of my U friends is a situation filled with evil and injustice. I go back and forth even in my prayers from, “O Lord, slay the wicked” to “Have mercy and save the wicked.” Lord, search my heart, even in these matters. May my heart agree with yours! You will act justly!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.