One of my
least favorite times of the year is Ramadan, everyone one changes their
schedules and tries to increase their show of religious piety. No food of drink from morning to night in the
hot summer desert sun, makes people struggle to keep up friendship and
relationships. I feel much ignored as an
outsider and struggle to find ways to connect with neighbours. Asking them if
they are fasting forces one of three responses and none of them seem to lead to
the good news. One - they pridefully
admit that they are fasting and boast in their own strength. Two – they aren’t fasting but don’t want to
lose face, but the question pressures them to lie. Third- they admit they are not fasting and
are filled with shame in front of everyone who also heard the meek confession.
I also struggle how to make bridges to the gospel during this long month. I rejoice that it is behind us for another year
and relationships can recommence.
The only
part of the holiday I rejoice in is the visiting at the end, being back in
their homes and introducing them all to my new roommate.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.