Monday, October 15, 2018

Weep With Those Who Weep


These new relationships did cause some tension.  Both at the picnic and a subsequent birthday party I was invited to, it quickly became apparent to everyone that I was the one person who had most recently been in our province.  I had the clearest picture of what was really happening.  Many of them started asking me questions about the different forms of social injustice and human rights violations I had witnessed.  I told a few simple stories of things that had happened to some of my neighbours.   A few people were very insistent “the world wide press needs to hear these report.  No one is paying attention to our people.  We need to get you on camera telling your stories, they would listen if it came from you.” Everyone else around the room vigorously nodded their head, they seemed to be in agreement that I should become the spokesperson.  
This created a lot of internal tension.  I agree the message is important, but I am personally planning on going back in country.  Publically voicing my descent could be an end to that possibility.  Instead I started to tell the group of some of the young people I had met on my survey trip who were lost and confused separated from their families.  “Those students need a big sister,” I said  “ Jesus, who I follow, taught that we are to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep.  The young people I met have no one to weep with them.  I want to go and live close by to be family to those who are hurt most by all that is happening.”  The group seemed to understand this explanation, and even the most vocal of the party agreed “if you are going back you can’t say anything.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.