My parents were doing some upgrades around the house asked
if I wanted to tag along to the hardware store to look at toilets. Doesn’t sound like the most exciting outing,
but it was. There standing by the door
of Lowes was an older man wearing a dopa, a traditional hand embroidered hat
worn by men from my area. I quickly
approached him and his son, with my hand over my heart and a small nod of my
head in respect I greeted them in their own language. Dad said that based on just watching their
faces from a distance you could tell they were shocked by the encounter. They had just come from making holiday
visits, hence the formal hat at the hardware store. We chatted for a few
minutes although since they were two men it wasn’t appropriate to talk for too
long, thankfully I was able to get the phone number of the younger man’s wife
before taking my leave.
A few minutes later my mom mentioned that in another part of
the huge warehouse store she had seen a woman wearing one of the traditional
dresses, splashed with bright colours. I
headed back that direction, searching each aisle as I went, half way through
the store I met the young man from before, who was also searching aisle by
aisle for me. After I had left he had
posted a message on social media telling others in the community that he had
met a white girl who spoke their language.
One of the others remembered me from years ago at their restaurant. They encouraged the couple to invite me to a
picnic they were planning over the weekend to celebrate the holiday. This was such an answer to prayer for me to
finally be introduced to the diaspora community living right here in my own
hometown.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.