A highlight while I was home was taking a class on Jonathan Edwards at Heritage. The professor shared a lot about the role of prayer in the Great Awakening. New England saw a revival and an outpouring of the Spirit, in part because they asked for it. I remember the article we were looking at quoting James 4:2: “You do not have because you do not ask.” I realized that I often ask Him for very small things like, “Lord, I pray that we can mention you in our conversation today with this neighbor” or “Please help my friend to see this week’s social media post.” I couldn’t help but wonder if it is a lack of faith that holds me back from asking for more.
As I shared some of these thoughts with my small group, the lady beside me boldly said, “Well then,
let’s ask for more. Let’s pray for revival. He is Lord of all things; nothing is too big.” And boy, did she
mean it. She dove in, praying that the imam at the bazaar who had been warning ladies not to hang
out with me would be the next Saul to Paul… he would go from causing trouble to leading many in
the way. She asked that groups like our chai or English corners would no longer be just social clubs
but would become house fellowships where the word was studied. Wow, she knew how to ask big.
It was a challenge to me and still is several weeks later. He can do so much more than just help me
meet a new friend; He can change hearts for all eternity. In this season, take inspiration from the
lady in my small group and join me in asking Him to do so much more than I ask or even imagine in
this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.