Class and language study continue to be one of my main activities. Recently my teacher and I have been working our way through a book called the Lexicarry. Using a series of comic strip like pictures, the book helps to stimulate real life conversations and expressions that are used in a wide variety of daily situations. The book covers topics like, what to say to a beggar as you give them money, how to wish someone a happy birthday, and even what to say at a funeral, (‘may the ground that they lay in be soft’). Not only do my teacher and I have some really interesting culture conversations, but it has also given me the opportunity to share what I believe and have her help me craft edifying and grammatically correct statements that I could say instead, like; “I am asking that He would comfort you and your family during this sad time.” My teacher ends class by recording our notes so that not only am I learning how to say all of these relevant phrases, I am able to share them with teammates.
I love when class equips me to speak into the very situations our friends are facing. In the last several months, three families I know have had someone in hospital. My teammate and I have gone to visit two families who were mourning the loss of a close relative, and we have attended a wedding. Please keep asking that I will push on in language learning and not get discouraged. Ask that my team and I will be able to, not just say the culturally appropriate phrase, but use our words to point to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.