Thursday, July 8, 2021

Delays of God Volume# 17 Issue # 4 Date: July 2021

Out of all the notes of encouragement that flooded my inbox after recently having my second surgery postponed, one really caught my attention.  I have to admit, I felt like I was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, Covid vaccinations were coming along, one hip was done, the next was ready to go, soon I would be able to look into options to continue engaging U communities with the gospel.  This hope-filled, forward-looking view, made the complication of a cracked bone canceling my operation feel like the pause button had been pressed on my plans.  A delay-that I just didn’t understand.  That’s why this email caught my attention and helped draw my heart to a better perspective.  A friend wrote:

I think of an interesting passage in Bruce Milne’s commentary on the Gospel of John, commenting on Jesus’ waiting before going to visit Lazarus: “The delays of God are clearly part of the biblical record.” I wonder if he is using the phrase “delays of God” with tongue in cheek; the delays are only according to our perspective! He went at the right time, in his (true) perspective. Milne goes on to say, “Our imperfect desires also make us want immediate answers, and render us unprepared for the patient ripening of God’s plans.”

 Ouch. Lord I needed that reminder.  I need to look at life through your lens, one that sees time as patiently ripening my heart instead of pausing my progress.…Lord give me desires and timing in line with yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.