One part of my job serving in
Mobilization for our office is to attend Missions conferences at local Bible Colleges. Recently, this allowed me to return to my alma
mater. I have not been back for global
outreach week since I was a student there. It was fun to see some of the
traditions that have continued, namely the annual international dinner and cake
auction. This is an event that the
committee I was on started while I was a student at the school. I remember that first year it was a rather
pathetically attended evening, as we auctioned off cakes to raise money for
students going on summer mission’s trips. The grand total raised that first year was a
measly 36 dollars. I have no idea why we
even tried it again the second year; but we did; and, over time, it has grown
into one of the highlights of the week. This year, I was back on campus for the
20th anniversary cake auction which raised almost 9 thousand dollars
towards bursaries for students doing their internships overseas. I am so
thankful to have gotten the chance to play a small part in this tradition that the
Father has used to provide funds for a generation of students seeking to serve
Him overseas. But more than just eating
cake, it was wonderful to be back on campus, interacting with young students
who remind me of myself at that age, interested and eager for missions but so
unsure of what is all involved. These
college visits have provided opportunities for me to share in panel discussions
on culture, share how God has used something as simple as banana bread in my
own ministry, and give seminars on willingly giving up our rights for the sake
of the gospel.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.