This summer I went with my teammate to visit the shop where she often buys buttons and other little trinkets for her craft company. The young shop owner was a U woman, who despite her age was still able to speak the U language. We hit it off well in the summer, hanging out more than once during my short visit. Since my moving here, she has been quick to introduce me to a lot of her family. I have met her uncle, three Aunts, two cousins and a few nieces and nephews -- the whole family works at the bazaar. They have all welcomed me in, often sharing their lunch with me after class. One cousin comes to my home to practice speaking the U language. We have had some wonderfully insightful conversation from Islamic dress to the practice of having second wives. Each one presents me with the opportunity to sprinkle the conversation with His truths.
They are all so poised in the following of Islam; it leaves me asking “How can I turn their hearts to Him?” The truth is there is nothing I can do in and of myself that will ever convince them. It must all be of Christ, and His spirit moving in their hearts. I just keep asking that I will be an open willing instrument in His hands. This has always been the truth, and yet somehow the colourful contemporary clothing I saw on the other side made the women more approachable, it made me feel like I had more in common with them and somehow that I could ‘do this job’. My new friends seem so devout, so deeply committed, I feel out of my depths, and yet He has brought me these relationships, He is the only one who can work heart level. I just need to keep praying for them, keep loving them, and keep letting the words or Christ and my own walk with Him spill out into our relationships.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.